Sunday, November 30, 2025
Governor Mike DeWine Regrets Legalizing Sports Betting Amid Scandals in Baseball
Governor Mike DeWine addresses sports betting controversies following baseball scandals in Ohio.

Governor Mike DeWine Regrets Legalizing Sports Betting Amid Scandals in Baseball

Columbus, Ohio – Following a series of high-profile betting scandals in both college and Major League Baseball, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine has expressed regret over signing the 2021 law that legalized sports betting in the state.

Speaking to the Associated Press, DeWine highlighted the unprecedented influence of betting companies and their massive advertising budgets, warning that legalization amplifies the risks. “Gambling has always existed, and it always will,” he said. “But the sheer power of these companies to attract bets is entirely different under legalization.”

DeWine’s remarks come after two Cleveland Guardians pitchers, Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz, were indicted for allegedly accepting bribes to manipulate pitches. Similarly, in 2023, the Ohio Casino Control Commission halted bets on the University of Alabama’s baseball team due to unusual betting activity flagged by an independent integrity monitor.

The governor has consistently advocated for tighter regulations on sports betting. Earlier this year, new limits were introduced, capping certain proposition bets at $200 and excluding them from parlays to reduce potential corruption. DeWine has also supported restricting prop bets in college athletics and has encouraged professional leagues to consider similar measures.

“Prop bets are just playing with fire,” DeWine told the AP. “Failing to address this issue is inviting more trouble.”

Ohio residents and sports fans alike are watching closely as the state navigates the challenges of legalized sports betting.

U.S. Government Cancels GIS Transport Project in Nairobi


Follow Dalmar TV on Facebook for the Latest News

Read more

Local News